Acknowledging that we work in the context of a chronic climate crisis, shakespeare.scot are part of the EarthShakes alliance.
The #EarthShakes alliance pledge:
– To care for the natural and built environments in which the company works and to consult (and amplify the voices of) indigenous and/or local communities in this work
– To reduce carbon footprints and to minimise waste (by e.g. less and greener travel; following best practice in energy consumption; etc)
– To reuse, rework and upcycle costumes, props and scenery, and to share these – where possible – with other local and regional theatres
– To maximise the sustainability of off- and back-stage operations (e.g. reduced and recycled printing of tickets, programmes, posters, flyers; compostable and recyclable packaging; free water refill stations; organic and locally-sourced food, etc)
– To attempt, wherever possible, only to receive funding and sponsorship from companies that are environmentally-friendly and have e.g. divested their interests in non-renewable energy
– To stage productions that highlight the current ecological crisis and our collective responsibility to address it
– To share resources and tips on a dedicated website for fellow practitioners, activists, teachers and educators; to do likewise on social media using the #EarthShakes tag.